Subject: Problems with Ant Ether3 cards
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: PWAIN.NC.COM <PWAIN@nc.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/15/1996 09:31:00
Okay, my turn now to report a strangeness...

Running X11R6 (xarm-18) with kernel 4444 (Yes Mark, I
know but its stopped being strange now - as long as
I dont ftp as root in an Xterm!!!).

So I leave myself logged in to a remote machine over
night (either running X-lock or not depending if I
can be bothered....). (About 5pm)

When I come back in in the mornint (about 9am), I have
to do the following to get _any_ network traffic
in and out of the machine:

	ifconfig ea0 down
	ifconfig ea0 up

Now, (and here's the crunch), I do remember having to do
this after around 3 days on my RISCiX box. It also
had an ether3 card in it (good machine that - arm3 with
a small increase in the crystal speed and maxed out on
Ram - X11R6 on that too even if it did take an age to
build....)

Paul

p.s. BTW, the question has just come up here; and I know
its off the point, but other than RISCiX whats the best
UNIX for an old A540 (currently running RISCiX and
showing it) to be upgraded to? As I understand it the only
real choice is Linux right? (Opps, sorry to mention that
here :)