Subject: Kernel won't change root device
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@rghx50.gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/14/1996 20:58:11
Hello!

I'm astonished nobody has come across this before:
I have borrowed an external SCSI harddisk, configured for ID 4.
This should be no problem as my internal CD-ROM has ID 5 and my internal
harddisk has ID 6.
But the sequence of harddiscs under RiscBSD changed. The external one
(currently formatted for DOS) is now sd0 and my internal one with RiscBSD on it
sd1. So I changed the root and swap device to sd1a and sd1b.
The kernel (bsd-4444) reports at bootup:

Kernel arg string <BtRiscBSD$Dir>.Booter.BtRiscBSD SCSI::Hard4.$.RiscBSD.bsd-
4444 root=/dev/sd1a swap=/dev/sd1a screenmode=X1024 Y768 C256 F70 maxproc=48
symtab ehbug

So everything seems fine.
The devices are probed as I said above, the external one is sd0 and the
internal one sd1.
But when the filesystem checks start, I get:

Automatic boot, starting file system checks
sd0: no disk label
Can't open /dev/sd0a: Device not configured

But I told it to use /dev/sd1a in the bootloader, so why sd0a!?!
I have tried the bootloaders 2.70 and 2.80 and kernels bsd-4444, bsd-4130 and
bsd-3931 as well as my latest self-compiled kernel - everything with the same
result.

Btw, does anybody have an idea about this:
The external disk (a Quantum Fireball) may not be on when I boot the machine,
otherwise it hangs (after the blue and red hardware-check screens and before
writing "RISC OS 18MB" on the screen).
The SCSI chain looks like this:
Conner CFP1080S (passive terminators)---Sony CDU55S---Cumana SCSI II
(termination switched off in the config)---Quantum Fireball 1080S (terminated
by one of these terminators which plug into the free socket on the external
case)
I have already tried various combinations for the termination on the external
drive and the controller without any success. I have left the internal drive
terminated because changing this needs a complete disassembly of my machine.

Hope somebody can help me,