Subject: Re: X11 on no-VRAM machine
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@IC.AC.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/13/1996 11:06:50
On Aug 12,  6:00pm, Stefan Voss wrote:
> Subject: Re: X11 on no-VRAM machine
> In message <9608121244.ZM13260@warhol.me>,
>      Robert Black wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > >
> > > When I switch back to the console (ALT-F1) I find myself at the db>
> > > prompt. Above the prompt I find the following messages from the X server:
> >
> > Oops, that means the kernel crashed. Look in your system log to find out
why.

> Strange, there's no crash output in /var/log/message. Is there any way to
> get the latest reason for crashing from the db> prompt?
>
> > Incidentally the DRAM kernels are post 1.2-alpha so there are known
> > incompatibilities with Xarm versions less than 20.
>
> Hasn't #18 been the latest public release? Any chance to get an
> X server > #20 released that runs with 1.1 binaries?

I'm afraid not because I would need an entire 1.1 installation of RiscBSD in
addition to my 1.2 version. It would also mean recompiling all the 1.1 based X
binaries to get rid of the library bugs. This is going to be bad enough for
1.2.

Cheers

Rob

PS The state of the 1.2 version of X is that I have released a version (for
public release) to Mark to go with the 1.2 beta. When I get my hands on the 1.2
release libraries I will do a new one (if anything has changed). There are two
known problems with the set for the 1.2 beta.

1) Makedepend cannot handle building Motif. Strictly speaking this is not a bug
but Motif requiring a non-standard configuration option (to allow more than 512
files). There will be a *large* makedepend available separately on request. I
will probably integrate this into the release version.

2) The Xarm shipped cannot handle solid window drags. This is probably a race
condition and it could take me several months to find inspite of knowing
roughly where it is.