Subject: Re: FileCore in 3.6 and new version of OS.
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kjetil Bernhard Thomassen <thomassk@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/12/1996 23:25:19

Tom Hughes wrote:
> From: tom@COMPTON.DEMON.CO.UK (Tom Hughes)
> Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 23:29:48 +0100
>
> Nonsense. RISC OS 3.6 goes much higher that 2GB discs. I can't
> remember the exact theoretical limit, but it's large enough
> that IIRC Acorn were running a 9GB disc on one machine.
>
> They do reccomend that you don't go too big, as the LFAU will
> get so large that you'll waste a lot of space, but it is most
> certainly possible.

I have to admit that I was wrong.  The RISC OS 3 v. 3.6 limit is 4GB.

And, in the new FileCore they have increased this to 256GB.

My source of information is a couple of information sheets
that were sent to the Clan in September 1995.

I quote from the RISC OS 3.60 sheet:
"... FileCore and ADFS have been extended to support hard discs
of up to 4GB ... "

I quote from "The New FileCore":
"... the new version has been extensively rewritten and has been
designed to support discs of 128GB. ..."

In other words, there are three different FileCore's out there:
1) The one in RISC OS 3 up to and including v. 3.5 which only
supports up to 512MB.
2) The one in RISC OS 3 v. 3.6 which supports up to 4GB.
3) The new one that is soon to be released and that was
beta-tested by Clan members.

Of course there may have been changes to 2) and/or 3) since
September 1995, but this is the information I was refering to.
I have not received information from Acorn that denies this
information through the Clan, and I assume that would have
been the case if it had been changed.

I am sorry about the confusion I have caused, and I hope
that this settles the issue.

Kjetil B.