Subject: Re: Unsuccessful attempt on 1.2 beta scratch-installation
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kjetil Bernhard Thomassen <thomassk@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/11/1996 23:56:27
I have now finally managed to install RiscBSD to my SCSI-disk.

The problem I reported seems to be in the 1.2 kernels. None of
them are able to copy the floppy to the RAM disk.

The solution was to use the old bootloader and the 4197 kernel.

This kernel is compatible with my Acorn SCSI card, and when I
used this, I had no problems using the install program with
my SCSI drive.

I have now formatted / as 70 MB below the 512 MB barrier,
and /usr as almost 1500 MB above.

In other words I am now up and running.

I am also using unixfs to my root partition, and that works
very well. All I had to do was to change the parameter
to unixfs_mount. I set this to 409a0, but this may be
different on other SCSI cards than the Acorn one.

Then I loaded the unixfs module and ran this obey file.
OpenRoot then gave me the root partition.

I also had to change the permissions to the tmp directory
so that I could write into it from unixfs. This needs to
be set to rwx for others (ie chmod o+rwx /tmp).
This must also be done for the distrib directory after
it has been created by /usr/local/sbin/inst if you are
going to use unixfs to transfer the sets.

I am booting native with bsd-4444.

So, the next step is to install the sets, but that I will
do tomorrow.

I hope the problems I have reported can be solved, as I
guess there may be others having the same problem now or
in the future.

I refer to my previous email for details about my Risc PC.

Kjetil B.