Subject: 1.2-beta install bug?
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Neil Hoggarth <neil.hoggarth@PHYSIOL.OX.AC.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/08/1996 10:10:13
I installed RiscBSD for the first time last night, working from the
1.2-beta sets from the FTP server. I hit one problem which I was able
to work around, but I thought that I better mention in case it is
a problem that needs fixing.

Running the installer script (/usr/local/sbin/inst, step 23 of the
installation instructions) I ran into trouble because it apparently
tries to use the "whoami" command to verify that the user is root and
declines to proceed if not. Unfortunately the mini-root filesystem
that is loaded from floppy into the RAM disk doesn't appear to have a
binary for "whoami" (or at least I couldn't find it, and it isn't
pathed in)!

[This is my temporary work around, in case anyone else needs it: "/"
is in the path, so run "echo echo root >/whoami; chmod +x /whoami" to
create a shell script "whoami" which produces the expected output.]

Regards,

Neil Hoggarth                                 Departmental Computer Officer
<neil.hoggarth@physiol.ox.ac.uk>                   Laboratory of Physiology
http://www.physiol.ox.ac.uk/~njh/                     Oxford University, UK