Subject: Re: NetBSD book recommendations for RiscBSD newbie?
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG, r.black@IC.AC.UK>
From: Kjetil Bernhard Thomassen <thomassk@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/07/1996 16:21:21
> From: Robert Black <r.black@IC.AC.UK>
> Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 11:59:41 +0100
>
> On Aug 6, 11:06pm, Markus Baeurle wrote:
>> Subject: Re: NetBSD book recommendations for RiscBSD newbie?
>> Hi!
>>
>>> Recommendations, please for books on running / using / managing NetBSD,
>>> that
>>> won't confuse me with details of other versions of Unix, and that will
>>> avoid
>>> me putting too many silly newbie questions on this list. ;-)
>>
>> You're probably lost with respect to the confusion. There are only a few
>> books
>> on NetBSD's parent 4.4BSD and none on the recent BSDs (ie NetBSD and FreeBSD)
>> AFAIK, so there will always be something which doesn't apply to your version
>> of
>> Unix.
>> This is even true for Linux with its huge selection of Linux specific books
>> as
>> they often don't deal with distribution specific issues, especially
>> configuration differs from distribution to distribution.
>>
>> OK there is a suite of books from O'Reilly covering 4.4BSD. These are
> available
>
> [ snip ]
>
> Another O'Reilly book worth looking at is Unix Power Tools which
> costs ~40UKP. The CDROM with it is essentially useless but the book
> is a very good guide on how to get the most out of shell programming.
> It is really good for anyone experienced with computers but not
> Unix wanting to learn the non-administrative side of Unix.

I have this book myself, and I would like to say that this is a
must for any UNIX user. I have also found it helpful in some
system administration tasks as well.

The book is "hypertext in paper" and has a very good index too.

I would recommend all of you to take a look at the O'Reilly
online bookstore at:
http://www.ora.com/catalog/index.html

Kjetil B.