Subject: Re: NetBSD book recommendations for RiscBSD newbie?
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@IC.AC.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/07/1996 11:59:41
On Aug 6, 11:06pm, Markus Baeurle wrote:
> Subject: Re: NetBSD book recommendations for RiscBSD newbie?
> Hi!
>
> > Recommendations, please for books on running / using / managing NetBSD,
that
> > won't confuse me with details of other versions of Unix, and that will
avoid
> > me putting too many silly newbie questions on this list. ;-)
>
> You're probably lost with respect to the confusion. There are only a few
books
> on NetBSD's parent 4.4BSD and none on the recent BSDs (ie NetBSD and FreeBSD)
> AFAIK, so there will always be something which doesn't apply to your version
of
> Unix.
> This is even true for Linux with its huge selection of Linux specific books
as
> they often don't deal with distribution specific issues, especially
> configuration differs from distribution to distribution.
>
> OK there is a suite of books from O'Reilly covering 4.4BSD. These are
available

[ snip ]

Another O'Reilly book worth looking at is Unix Power Tools which costs ~40UKP.
The CDROM with it is essentially useless but the book is a very good guide on
how to get the most out of shell programming. It is really good for anyone
experienced with computers but not Unix wanting to learn the non-administrative
side of Unix.

Cheers

Rob

PS I posted this to the port-arm32 list rather than the documentation project
because the sorts of people it will appeal to will probably be beginners and
therefore not likely to be on the documentation project mailing list. Since
everyone in the documentation project is presumably subscribed to this list too
I don't see any point in crossposting this message.