Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: RiscBSD on A7000 machines
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Voss <voss@yoda.in-berlin.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/07/1996 07:43:39
In message <19960806.182436.30@emw4maba.slip.gp.fht-esslingen.de>
      Markus Baeurle wrote:

> > Well, I don't have an A7000 but I would like to boot a VRAM-less RPC.
> > I have tried kernels 4339 and 4444 but they one show the usual "only 8 bpp
> > support".
> >
> > Which kernel do I have to use or what parameters do I have to set?
>
> Du mußt den neuen Bootloader verwenden. Dort gibt es ein Feld "Video DRAM" bei "Display". Was man dort eintragen muss, kannst Du Dir sicher denken.
> Ausprobiert habe ich das aber nicht, ich hab' eine anständige Konfiguration.
> ;-))

Just a little translation for you non-german speaking folks:
Markus' advice is to use the new bootloader and set the field "Video DRAM"
to 0K.

I followed his advice and downloaded BtRiscBSD V2.80 (13th July 1996).
After verifying that the "Video DRAM" field was set to 0K I tried booting
kernel 4444 and got the "only 8 bpp support" message again.

When I was trying to locate the source of this error message I found out
that one has to boot *from* a 256 color mode. Is this interpretation
correct?

Actually the message didn't come up when I used BtRiscBSD from 640x480
(256 colors, 75 Hz) mode but the booting stopped shortly after switching
to a 640x480 (60 Hz) monitor mode. It ends up showing a grey screen with
no disk activity at all. I again used kernel 4444.

> MfG MB

Regards,
   Stefan

--