Subject: Re: Two newbie SCSI questions
To: Ian Giblin <giblin@dm.unipi.it>
From: Scott Stevens <s.k.stevens@IC.AC.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/02/1996 09:53:02
Ian Giblin writes:

 > Hi, I've just started playing with RiscBSD. I haven't yet successfully
 > installed it but have got to the point where it boots from the floppy
 > and runs that much OK with kernel 4444. I can't spare the space or
 > trauma of reformatting my already-too-small IDE drive so I want to use
 > a mag-op disc for booting. However...

:-(

 > SCSI Problem 1: The program 'bb_riscbsd' in the 1.2 beta release
 > refers to a SWI called SCSI_DiscOp which doesn't exist. Can I just
 > replace this with SCSIFS_DiscOp (which may be what was intended)? This
 > must be something everyone has trouble with, surely...

You could, but you don't need to. The Powertec uses a different
partitioning technique and so doesn't need the boot block to be
updated.

 > SCSI Problem 2: I have a PowerTec SCSI-2 card in slot 0. It is
 > recognised by the boot process but only the card - not the things
 > attached. They are:
 >
 > Device Type              Capacity    Vendor   Product          Rev  Level
 > 4      Sequential        Unknown     HP       HP35480A         9 09 SCSI-2
 > 5      Direct Access      307 Mbytes HP       S6300.650A       3.04 SCSI-1
 > 6      Read-Only         Unknown     SONY     CD-ROM CDU-8003A 1.9a SCSI-2
 > 7      Host                          Powertec SCSI Expansion   1.13 SCSI-2
 >
 >   ...but none of them appear as possible devices. I just get 'scsibus0
 > at ptsc0' and no device list below it. Aidan Corey suggested this
 > might be because I have no devices inside the box (i.e. a problem with
 > termination) and I can check that some time with a bit of device
 > swapping, but I wonder if anyone else has a similar config and any
 > advice?

People have had problems and they're invariable termination
related. You could try a terminator on an IDC cable (if you can get
hold of one.

 > Testing the theory is a bit involved since all my devices are
 > external and screwed into their own boxes, etc.

You needn't (generally) take them out of the box (unless the
termination link is awkward to get to), just disconnect the device
from the box's IDC cable and use another to connect the device to the
card. You can still provide power from the box... (usual caveats
apply).

 > As for my RISC OS SCSI module versions:
 >
 > SCSIResources   0.01 (24 Feb 1995) =A9 Alsystems 1995
 > SCSIDriver      1.13 (08 Jan 1996) =A9 Alsystems 1995
 > SCSIFS          1.16 (08 Jan 1996) =A9 Alsystems 1995
 > SCSIFiler       1.11 (19 Dec 1995) =A9 Alsystems 1995
 >
 >   ...has there been a new release of these?

Not sure, ask Gary Partis.

Does it matter?

Not a sausage.

 > Does
 > RiscBSD even use the on-board software from podule cards?

Not the software. But the drivers do tend to rely on the fact that the
card is in a stable state.

 > (I did say I
 > was a newbie) ...If so and anyone out there has newer versions, I
 > don't think it would be bad to mail them to me. I've got the hardware
 > after all.

Mail Gary (gjpartis@cix.compulink.co.uk I think this is correct), and
see if he'll mail you the latest. I think others distributing the
software would break a few laws ;-). Best to go to the author IMHO.

 > Many thanks, Ian.

Cheers Scott

--
Scott Stevens, Network Services Group, Computer Centre, Imperial College
RIMMER: Wasn't it St. Francis of Assisi himself who said, "Never give a