Subject: Re: Compiling a new kernel?!
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@DURHAM.AC.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/01/1996 10:23:11
On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Markus Baeurle wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Frederic AIDOUNI wrote:
>
> > I've downoaded the sys.tar.gz file on the ftp site, and following the
> > instructions in the config_guide not the patches.
>
> There's little point in using that, IMHO. The sources in this archive are
> very old...
> It's better to use sup to fetch the current sources from the NetBSD sup
> server (or preferably one of its mirrors). Install the sup set and read
> the instructions. If you can't get it to work, you can always ask me,
> because I have it running.
>
> One snag with this is however that Mark is always very busy and didn't
> check in the latest changes, so you will not get a kernel with the
> features of bsd-4444 but rather one comparable with bsd-4130 or so (plus
> the changes to the machine independent part made by other persons from
> the core team of NetBSD). I hope that Mark will find some time to
> check the latest changes in soon.

  I was under the impression that only bugfixes would be checked in until
NetBSD 1.2 is finally released, then NetBSD-current will continue as
before with all of the latest goodies :)

  Wasn't there some problem with X under these new kernels anyway?

BTW. Does anyone know when the final 1.2 release is likely to be?

Ale.