Subject: Two newbie SCSI questions
From: Ian Giblin <giblin@dm.unipi.it>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/31/1996 23:24:08
Hi, I've just started playing with RiscBSD. I haven't yet successfully
installed it but have got to the point where it boots from the floppy
and runs that much OK with kernel 4444. I can't spare the space or
trauma of reformatting my already-too-small IDE drive so I want to use
a mag-op disc for booting. However...

SCSI Problem 1: The program 'bb_riscbsd' in the 1.2 beta release
refers to a SWI called SCSI_DiscOp which doesn't exist. Can I just
replace this with SCSIFS_DiscOp (which may be what was intended)? This
must be something everyone has trouble with, surely...

SCSI Problem 2: I have a PowerTec SCSI-2 card in slot 0. It is
recognised by the boot process but only the card - not the things
attached. They are:

Device Type              Capacity    Vendor   Product          Rev  Level
4      Sequential        Unknown     HP       HP35480A         9 09 SCSI-2
5      Direct Access      307 Mbytes HP       S6300.650A       3.04 SCSI-1
6      Read-Only         Unknown     SONY     CD-ROM CDU-8003A 1.9a SCSI-2
7      Host                          Powertec SCSI Expansion   1.13 SCSI-2

  ...but none of them appear as possible devices. I just get 'scsibus0
at ptsc0' and no device list below it. Aidan Corey suggested this
might be because I have no devices inside the box (i.e. a problem with
termination) and I can check that some time with a bit of device
swapping, but I wonder if anyone else has a similar config and any
advice? Testing the theory is a bit involved since all my devices are
external and screwed into their own boxes, etc.

As for my RISC OS SCSI module versions:

SCSIResources   0.01 (24 Feb 1995) =A9 Alsystems 1995
SCSIDriver      1.13 (08 Jan 1996) =A9 Alsystems 1995
SCSIFS          1.16 (08 Jan 1996) =A9 Alsystems 1995
SCSIFiler       1.11 (19 Dec 1995) =A9 Alsystems 1995

  ...has there been a new release of these? Does it matter? Does
RiscBSD even use the on-board software from podule cards? (I did say I
was a newbie) ...If so and anyone out there has newer versions, I
don't think it would be bad to mail them to me. I've got the hardware
after all.

Many thanks, Ian.

Ian Giblin                             mailto:giblin@dm.unipi.it
Dipartimento di Matematica              faxto:+39 50 599524 (shared)
Universita di Pisa                    voiceto:+39 50 599573 (direct)
via Buonarroti 2
I-56127 PISA,  Italy.               http://adams.dm.unipi.it/~giblin/