Subject: Re: unix-fs probs
To: None <andrewm@ZENER.DEMON.CO.UK>
From: Scott Stevens <s.k.stevens@IC.AC.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/22/1996 11:10:06
Andrew Murphy writes:
 > Due to a change of my internal hard disc (drive 4) on my RiscPC 600, I'm
 > currently re-installing the 1.1 beta-release CD. So far, I've got my
 > partitions set and am booting off the HD. Everything _seems_ to be working
 > apart from unix-fs. Trying to open either the root or /usr partitions results
 > in errors. I can run "MountHD4a" OK but running "OpenRoot" gives an "Internal
 > error" message. Running "MountHD4e" gives slightly different results with a
 > "Disc drive not known" error.
 >
 > I've no doubt overlooked something obvious but last time everything just
 > worked! My old drive was a cfs540 but I'm now on a cfs850. Is the problem
 > likely to be associated with the 512 Mb Filecore limit? (I couldn't quite see
 > this myself) - I've got RiscOS about up to the limit, with the RiscBSD
 > partition on the end.

This'll be it. With the old filecore the partition you access *needs*
to be completely below the 512M boundary. The reason is that UnixFS
fakes a filecore bootblock to tricl filecore into thinking the disk is
bigger than it really is (as far as RiscOS is concerned), and then
uses filecore to access individual blocks. Any limits imposed by
filecore are thus imposed on UnixFS.

 > Unfortunately, my CD-ROM is one of the Cumanan Indigo ones and so without
 > unixfs I'm going to need a lot of floppies :-(.
 >
 > Any help greatfully received!

Get the new filecore....

 > --
 > Andrew Murphy
 > andrewm@zener.demon.co.uk

Cheers Scott

--
Scott Stevens, Network Services Group, Computer Centre, Imperial College
"We could go to Dallas in November, 1963, stand on the grassy knoll and