Subject: Re: new bootloader-probs
To: None <jan-uwe.finck@KOMMSRV.RZ.UNIBW-MUENCHEN.DE>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/19/1996 15:12:19
>I'm in trouble with the new sets (1.2) and the new bootloader..
>When trying to boot the screen becomes black and...
>stays black..
>I try to boot in 1024x768 c256 and 70 Hz...
>and have 2 MB VRam...what is entered in the bootloader..
>my ehbug is entered and the kernel bsd-4444 is loaded..
>
>But I just wonder why the screen stays black..and nothing
>can be seen...

ok black screen ... is the system still running ? One slight bug that I have
not fixed yet is that if you are using VRAM you should make sure that the Video
DRAM field is 0
Otherwise the boot starts on VRAM, DRAM gets allocated, printing switches to
DRAM but the screen still is drawn from VRAM.
In this case you get a black screen but it is still possible to log in and do
things blindfolded.

The Video DRAM field current should only be used on machines without VRAM and
should be set to the amount of DRAM to be reserved for screen memory.

Cheers,
				Mark

--
Mark Brinicombe				amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk