Subject: Re: Fireballs / New Q for the FAQ (was Re: Install problem!!!)
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@IC.AC.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/12/1996 15:20:46
On Jul 12,  1:07pm, Ciaran Wills wrote:
> Subject: Fireballs / New Q for the FAQ (was Re: Install problem!!!)
> Robert Black writes:
>
> [...]
>
> rob> Oh dear, someone else with a fireball... I have a fireball and it
> rob> gives me all sorts of problems under RiscBSD (it seems to be too
> rob> fast for the driver and tickles every race condition in sight). I
> rob> can't get RiscOS to talk to it at all (probably my master causing
> rob> trouble). The good news is that as I have one of these drives the
> rob> problems *will* get fixed :)
>
> >> My goal was to install RiscBSD 1.1beta on the FIREBALL after the
> >> Risc OS partition so I run BB_RISCBSD and tell it I want to start
> >> my RiscBSD partition at cyl.  1024.  After that, I made the root
> >> floppy as said in the install guide, ran
> rob> BtRiscBSD
> >> with kernel 4163.
>
> rob> Right, the fireball just plain doesn't work (reliably hangs in
> rob> disk access) with kernels prior to about atapi-4281. Try using
> rob> atapi-4339.
>
> Hmm.  I've been using a 1.2Gb Fireball for 6 months now and I've never
> had a single problem with it, using various kernels dating from about
> Christmas.  It runs as slave to a Connor CFS540 and is entirely native
> RiscBSD - RiscOS has never touched it.

Hmm, interesting. Might be any one of a number of factors. One thing was that
most of my problems were with installing things (I was making heavy use of
tar). It is also possible that your drive is a different hardware revision. Not
that it really matters - I'm not having any problems with the fireball with
current kernels. If anyone else is I'd be interested to hear about it.

Cheers

Rob