Subject: Re: /netbsd missing
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@IC.AC.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/11/1996 16:22:24
On Jul 11,  2:38pm, Ale Terlevich wrote:
> Subject: Re: /netbsd missing
>

> On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Alex McLintock wrote:
>

> > > during booting my system I always get some errormessages like
> > > kvm_mkdb: /netbsd: No such file or directory
> >
> >      I get similar messages too. Let me make a guess.
> >
> >      We upgraded the kernel main file, but failed to perform some
> >      initialisation so that the support files are consistant with the
> >      kernel. The most common symptom of this is everyone asking where
> >      "/dev/vidcvideo" is.
> >

>   Forgive me if this is really obvious and you've tried it already, but
> you *do have* a copy of your boot kernel as /netbsd don't you?

Another possibility is that Xarm is deciding that /dev/vidcvideo0 doesn't look
like a video device as far as it's concerned. The error message you will get
from this could well be 'file not found' given that I wasn't expecting that
error. Xarm-18 and earlier are not supposed to work with recent kernels. If
they do it is purely a happy accident. I made some seriously faulty
assumptions[1]. These lead to huge race conditions which weren't a problem in
the past because of the interrupt timings and console bugs which Mark has
fixed.

Unfortunately the 1.2 libraries aren't yet stable enough for me to build an X
release on top of them (I now need a new crt0.o...). Anyone wishing to use X
should stick to the 1.1 distribution and 1.1 kernels.

Cheers

Rob

[1] The bss being initialised with 0xffffffff is a favourite of mine. Must have
been solar flares interfering with my brain or something :-)