Subject: More news: RiscBSD documentation
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Neil A Carson <neil@IVISION.CO.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/11/1996 10:54:50
Hello all,

I've collated most people's responses to my previous article, and the
need-to-do list looks something like this (clumped in order of priority)

  o Getting started and requirements guide
  o Installation guide
  o New(er) FAQ

  o General newbie unix overview

  o Where to get more information (www, FAQ, BSD book etc.)
  o Simple sysadmin with rcm

  o User account maintainance
  o Setting up X, fvwm, twm etc.
  o Ethernet networking
  o Dialup (ppp, SLIP) and serial port terminals
  o Discs---adding, fscking, hard+floppies
  o Editing things (joe, vi, EDITOR environment variable)
  o Dealing with crashes and things that may go wrong
  o .login and .cshrc scripts

  o More up to date device pages
  o Kernel hacker's guide

I think to get RiscBSD going this lot will do fine; I don't have time to
do much other than overhaul the FAQ (a faster FPE is coming soon, though
only about a 30% increase...), so most of the writing is left to other
people. I don't care where the documentation comes from (Linux (well
maybe), etc.) as long as it does the job, and isn't copyrighted.

Submissions may be in any format (SGML, LaTeX, ASCII, HTML, though as few
a pictures as possible please), I'll decide exactly what I do with them
later on. However, the documentation will appear:

  - In printed form with a later RiscBSD CD ROM release
  - On the Internet, via the world wide web, postscript or ASCII
  - On disc, in all of the above forms

This shoud provide a good enough guide to get pretty well anybody started
with RiscBSD and unix in general, without going into too much detail. If I
have missed anything, let me know by personal *email* to
neil@ivision.co.uk (don't use the numeric IP address of my machine as Rob
assures me this won't work :-).

Could anybody interested in writing any or more documentation now email me
describing concisely exactly what they can write (please, only mails from
people who *will* be able to do something) so I can think about getting a
documentation mailing list set up somewhere.

Thanks.

    Yours Aye,

    Neil

* Neil A Carson