Subject: Re: 1.2-beta problems
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/09/1996 14:43:13
>  Ok, I've just attempted to install the 1.2-beta base set only to find
>that many of the binaries cause a segmentation violation.
ahh knew there was something I meant to do ...

The problem is cause due to the fact that crt0.o was compiled with
-fomit-frame-pointer

crt0.c needs the stack address in order to get the info already pushed on the
stack during the exec (argc, argv, argp etc.)

with frame pointers gcc add the instruction mov	ip, sp followed by the stack
push. crt0.c thus uses the value in ip as a pointer to the stack on entry.
If you compile without frame-pointers you don't get this and thus the value of
ip is the one passed from the kernel. This I has been fixed in the kernel but
will not be in the kernels already available.

I need to recompile crt0.c with frame pointers and relink.
I'll do this ASAP.

Cheers,
				Mark

--