Subject: Re: ``RiscBSD Documentation Project''
To: netbsd <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel Pead <Daniel.Pead@NOTTINGHAM.AC.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/09/1996 13:30:13
On Tue 09 Jul, Neil A Carson wrote:

> > Maybe we should compromise and use emacs info format :-)
>
> Is that similar to TeXinfo?

... Is there a RISC-OS hosted TeXinfo viewer?

Surely things which belong in the RiscBSD 'manual' need to be in nroff -man
format, while instructions needed during installation need to be easily
readable and printable under RISC-OS and are probably best as just plain
ASCII!  Not everybody getting started wint RiscBSD is going to want to install
TeX, EMACS, X Windows (for your HTML and DVI viewers)... before reading the
'getting started' documentation.

If its possible to use something clever like SGML to generate these then fine,
but one of the annoyances I've always found with, say, GNU software is the
difficulty of actually decoding the documentation!  ASCII may be boring but at
least everybody can read it!

Daniel Pead --- Shell Centre for Maths Education --- University of Nottingham
http://acorn.educ.nottingham.ac.uk/ShellCent/Staff/dan.html
mailto:Daniel.Pead@Nottingham.ac.uk   phoneup:0115 951 4991