Subject: Re: No access to my own HD ?!
To: RiscBSD <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Phil Radden <pjcr100@cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/08/1996 00:32:21
On Sun 07 Jul, Steffen D\|nner wrote:
> Hi !
> I finally managed it to install...
  [snip]
> After booting only the basic shell commands (ls,mv,halt,...) were available.
> Complete /usr/distrib directory in which I loaded the sets was empty,
> some files I found and tried to run produced a 'Permission denied' or
> 'Read-only filesystem' !!

Interesting this!  I've similarly just 'completed' an install and hit a
similar problem.  The two partitions I use (/ and /usr) were mounted fine
when I booted, until after I'd installed some distribution sets.  After that,
booting left me with 'root_partition'(or something) mounted to / as
read-only.  Obviously I could get everything back by
   mount -t ffs /dev/sd0a /         %Surprised this worked, actually!
   mount -t ffs /dev/sd0e /usr
but presumably something has broken somewhere?

Oh, and as a nice easy NetBSD question... if the broke bit stays broke,
where should I put the two above lines so they happen at the right time?

Thanks for any help!

Phil Radden - Diploma in Computer Science            mailto:pjcr100@cam.ac.uk
Trinity College, Cambridge, CB2 1TQ   finger://pjcr100@rhubarb.trin.cam.ac.uk
01223 351926 or 0585 342672 (mobile)           http://rhubarb.trin.cam.ac.uk/