Subject: forwarded message from Scott Stevens
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Scott Stevens <s.k.stevens@IC.AC.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/05/1996 19:14:35
Second time lucky... I must remember to start checking mail headers
;-)

Cheers Scott

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Scott Stevens <s.k.stevens@ic.ac.uk>
To: kim@pvv.ntnu.no (Kim G. S. yhus)
Cc: s.k.stevens@ic.ac.uk, port_arm32@RiscBSD.ORG
Subject: Re: BSD boot halted due to cumana card?
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 19:05:05 +0100

Kim G. S. writes:

 > > Kim G. S. writes:
 > >  > When booting RiscBSD, my machine now hangs after writing:
 > >  >
 > >  > csc0 at podulebus [ podule 0 ]: dmabuf V0xf27a2000 P0x183c7000
 > >  > scsibus 0 at csc0
 > >  >
 > >  > I use a cumana SCSI-2 card.
 > >  > Any suggestions, advice, or new kernels that may fix the
 > >  > problem?
 > >
 > > This sounds like a termination problem. Before did you have one
 > > internal and one external device ? If so terminate the bus on the
 > > unused side.
 >
 > I never had any external devices. The PD is terminated, without
 > termination power, and is at the end of the cable. The 256MB HD
 > which I gave away, was at the middle of the cable, without
 > termination resistors. Everything works perfect under
 > RiscOS, but hangs the bootsequence of RiscBSD, after I removed the HD.
 >
 > So I am very sure that the problem is software, not hardware.

Very true. The problem lies with the cumana driver turning off board
termination. The work around it to ensure the bus is correctly
terminated ie put a terminator on the back of the card. This will be
fixed (eventually).

 > Kim0, the Unix sys.adm. at the GSM Project, Telenor. (Norwegian Telecom)

Cheers Scott

- --
Scott Stevens, Network Services Group, Computer Centre, Imperial College
"Well, I'm truly grateful, sir. Don't you think I'd love to be deceitful,
unpleasant, and offensive? Those are the human qualities I admire the
most! But I just can't do it."                        - Kryten, Red Dwarf