Subject: Re: Yet more optimisations
To: None <tom@COMPTON.DEMON.CO.UK>
From: Nuts <ee93mmt@BRUNEL.AC.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/04/1996 21:12:23

> "Mark Brinicombe" (amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk) wrote:
>
> > There is an function in_cksum() that is called frequently to checksum network
> > packets. Currently we are using a generic C version of this function.
> > This is something else of the optimisation list. Exactly how much improvement
> > this will give I don't know but it is considered significant as most NetBSD
> > ports provide optimised or assembly versions.
>
> I may be able to help here... I have a machine code routine to
> generate internet checksums for FreeNet, and it could probably
> be adapted fairly easy - it's just a question of coping with a
> slightly different mbuf style.

You actually sent me your code for this once, and I ran it on my box
for a while, although it went missing with certian other patches a
while back when I took a break from the unix scene.

> > Anyone wanting to have a look feel free.
>
> Well when I've actually got some kernel source I'll have a look
> at it... Incidentally, what's the best way to keep an up to date
> kernel tree? Can I cvs it from somewhere, or do I have to work
> out this sup thing...
>
> Tom
>
> --
> Tom Hughes (tom@compton.demon.co.uk)
> 13 Priory Close, Hoddesdon, Herts EN11 8DB
> ...It now costs more to amuse a child than it once did to educate his father.

Melvin Tang-Richardson: ee93mmt@brunel.ac.uk - RiscBSD UNIX for the RiscPC
           "A lot of us choose to resist temptation and suffer in silence."