Subject: Re: X hangups and Thanks
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/04/1996 11:31:56
On Jul 3, 10:55pm, Jonathan Scott wrote:
> Subject: X hangups and Thanks
> Thanks to all those who pointed out where i was going wrong before. I have
now
> got x booted up. I have used and messed about with Unix somewhat but the
> sytems where running software  whch already booted the window manager
although
> one system i worked at had an exit mwm option to quit i never started it with
> the mwm command so i didnt realize that it was there.
>
> I read in the FAQ that 8 M of ram is the min, however if one has booted
> normally RiscOS has already grabbed some of the Ram.

Nope. RiscOS gets thrown away during boot.

> I have used tried loading the XMAN and the system says their is insufficint
> memory to load the man pages (something like that).

Ah, I can't remember what this means but the error message is wrong. It may
mean your MANPATH environment variable isn't set or something like that.

> X seems to freeze on me I load a couple of things like xterm and calc etc. I
> once saw a message reporting insufficient system resources.

How many L1 page tables have you allocated?

> When booting the real mem is reported as 8 Meg avail Mem 5.5 Meg. The swap
> report 25Meg.

Right. The kernel takes the other 2.5Meg of RAM.

> I have tried 2 different kernals in both cases the system hang on occasion
> inso far as it locks out the keyboard/mouse .

This sounds like an L1 packetable deadlock to me. Try increasing the number (in
the bootloader) to 48 or 64. The other possibility is that if both of these
kernels are 1.2 kernels then it is possible for the 1.1 versions of the X
server to deadlock with 1.2 kernels. I didn't get my hands on the 1.2 binaries
and compilers until they appeared on the ftp site so I haven't had a chance to
pre-prepare a version of X.

> 1 Is my problem insufficient memory.

I doubt it, but you may run out of swap if you run too many heavy-duty progs
under X.

> 2 Is it possible my swap is not working properly.

Unlikely. If swap fails it usually fails totally so you wouldn't have had the
25Meg reported.

> 3 Is there a better way to recover than to swith off.

Ctrl-Esc will attempt to sync the disks (never use this if it is possible to do
a clean shutdown of course).

> 4 I failed to find configure mention in the install text, does this have any
> bearing or is it all taken care of by rcm now.

Err, it sohould be right at the end. One of the big things it does is a MAKEDEV
all.

> 5 Who is going to win the world cup in 1998.

A football team.

> 6 What are the numbers for next weeks lottery

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,
27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49

Oh sorry, you weren't after the *winning* numbers were you? ;-)

Cheers

Rob