Subject: Re: RiscBSD without VRAM?
To: Stefan Voss <voss@yoda.in-berlin.de>
From: Robert Black <r.black@IC.AC.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/03/1996 10:51:18
On Jul 2, 10:10pm, Stefan Voss wrote:
> Subject: RiscBSD without VRAM?
> Hi folks,
>
> during an upgrade to 2 MB VRAM my RiscPC will be VRAM-less for some days.
> Is there any chance to avoid the message
>
>    Error: current kernels only support 8 bpp for booting
>
> and the refusal to boot?
>
> I know the docs say that 1MB VRAM is a requirement but is it a "hard"
> requirement? Can RiscBSD boot without VRAM?

Yup, its a hard requirement. RiscBSD can't boot without VRAM on a RiscPC. It
will do so on an RC7500 but I don't think that the DRAM video stuff has been
ported back to the RiscPC yet. I think Mark is holding off until he knows what
changes he will have to make for the A7000 port. This all would have been done
last weekend, but the coding meeting got cancelled. I suspect that VRAM will
cease to be necessary some time during the next month.

Cheers

Rob Black