Subject: Re: VRML & openGL
To: Alex McLintock <Alex.McLintock@CHADWYCK.CO.UK>
From: Robert Black <r.black@IC.AC.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/02/1996 17:40:59
On Jul 2,  3:21pm, Alex McLintock wrote:
> Subject: VRML & openGL
>  Ok, I am now thinking of returning to VRML and the first step is to compile
the
>  publically available code.
>
>  1) Is anyone out there doing VRML browsers for Acorns (either Risc OS or
>     ported to RiscBSD)? I know of one - I think Gallileo reads VRML.
>  2) Is there any OpenGl support? I know very little about it so I guess
>     it is too big a task.

Well, one of the PD variants (I think it is MesaGL) compiles essentially
straight out of the box. Of course this doesn't support dgl and the speed
leaves a little to be desired. I did a benchmark of MesaGL under RiscBSD
comapred with a bottom end (as of 2 years ago) 100MHz R4600 Indy with a simple
flight simulator. On the Indy it is quite smooth. Under RiscBSD it averages
about 1 frame every 2 minutes (yes I timed it).

>  3) When porting software to RiscBSD what OS do people start from? obviously
>     if there is a NetBSD version then compile that - but what are the best
>     alternatives?

Anything BSD or failing that SunOS 4.1.3.

Cheers

Rob Black