Subject: Re: First attempt partly successful (very long)
To: Daniel Pead <Daniel.Pead@NOTTINGHAM.AC.UK>
From: Neil A Carson <neil@IVISION.CO.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/02/1996 12:39:11
On Tue, 2 Jul 1996, Daniel Pead wrote:

> On Mon 01 Jul, Kjetil Bernhard Thomassen wrote:
>
> > My conclusion about RiscBSD so far is that it is not suitable for
> > people without UNIX system administrator experience.
> >

> Isn't that a bit of a truism? After all, one would assume that anybody
> trying to install a beta version of a freeware UNIX implementation would
> either have UNIX system administration experience or would be eager to
> learn the hard way (I'm a firm believer in vertical learning curves!).

Yup. People shouldn't get a proper UNIX (linux not being proper!) without
really knowing what to do. They'd best go to an already-setup system and
start learning from the top down.

I think we need to start thinking as to exactly what sort of product
RiscBSD is targetted as being. Ought we to go for the user friendly side
of things, do nice manuals formatted in LaTeX etc, maybe printed and
buyable, or ought all time to be spent in development?

I wonder if the rest of the KT have any other thoughts on this.

    Yours Aye,

    Neil

* Neil A Carson
* Internet Vision Ltd.