Subject: Re: Getting X started
To: Jonathan Scott <J.C.Scott@OPEN.AC.UK>
From: Andrew Murphy <andrewm@RD.BBC.CO.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/02/1996 08:32:20
On Mon, 1 Jul 1996, Jonathan Scott wrote:

> I have install lots sets beginning with X.
> I have installed the FVWM set.
> I have added the X11R6/bin path
> I have made all devices with MAKEDEV all
> I have configured the X-arm server as Xarm-16
> I have typed startx
> X server starts a console window appears in the upper right the back ground
> remains grey no sliders or frames appear. No errors occurs. A prompt is
> present in the console.

By the sounds of it you've done the hard part. I would imagine that all
you need to do now is start a windows manager. Try typing fvwm or twm and
see what happens. This will enable you to move windows and the like around.
You can automate starting of the windows manager with your .xinitrc?
file (can't quite remember!).

You'll no doubt need to do some tweaking of fvwm to get it to your
personal tastes. The master configuration file is system.fvwm  in...
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm/ (well, something like that anyway).

> PS since the move have i sent this to the right place

Yep.

Hope this helps.

--
Andrew Murphy - andrewm@rd.bbc.co.uk
BBC R&D Department, Kingswood. Tel: 01737 836685