Subject: EtherH cards
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rogier Carper <carper@dialis.xs4all.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/30/1996 23:57:00
Friday 28th June 1996 21:49:40.00 pm, ee93mmt@BRUNEL.AC.UK writes:

> My EtherH card (bought from Acorn) is not reporting its address
> correctly under BSD.  Under Risc OS I have one address, under BSD I
> have another.  Is this a known bug / feature?

Nuts> This is a known thing on my todo list.  I'm not quite sure where
Nuts> to derive the read address from, although I guess it's not hard to
Nuts> find.  Since more people have been asking for this bug fix, it has
Nuts> gone up on my priority list.

Quoting from the TRM Network Card Mk 2 Interface Specification:

-=-=

13. Ethernet ID Chip

All Acorn compter platforms have a chip built in as standard that the
contains a unique number. The intention of this is to provide a method of
software protection. Acorn is now in the process of making a change to the ID
contained in these IC's. An Ethernet number will be given to each machine
produced. 24 bits of this number will be read from the ID chip and this then
added to Acorn's base Ethernet number to provide the unique number required.

Acorn platform Ethernet ID's are calculated by the following:-

	Read the DS2401 device to get a unique 24 bit number (Hex. XX XX XX).
	Add this device number to the Acorn Base Ethernet Number of Hex.
	00:00:A4:10:00:00.

This gives the value of the platform Ethernet number.

-=-= End of quote -=-=

The Ethernet number assigned to your machine under RISCOS is the number
provides by I-cubed. Add your serial number to I-cubed's base number:
00:C0:32:00:00:00.

Any way, Nuts. My unique machine ID is 00:00:00:50:A4:00:1B:7B
The LSB 24 bits added to Acorns base Ethernet number would result to:

00:00:A4:10:1B:7B.

Under RiscBSD I get 00:00:A4:00:1B:7B. So there's still a little bug in your
driver.

In the meantime, I'll mail I-cubed about their EtherH driver under RISCOS and
persuade them to move accoding to the Acorn policy.

Regards,

Rogier
--
Rogier Carper                           carper@dialis.xs4all.nl