Subject: Re: Floating point performance
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rik Griffin <riscbsd@CHEESEY.DEMON.CO.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/30/1996 00:38:10
In message <Pine.GSO.3.93.960628133752.9471A-100000@stingray.ivision.co.uk> you wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am looking at ways to optimise the FPE at the moment, and have a few
> ideas.  However before I go ahead I need to know whether or not it can
> really be optimised that much.
>
> Can someone/has someone done a comparison with the speed of the RiscOS
> FPE? If so can I have the result/s please so I can work out whether
> it is really worth bothering or not.

I was going to provide some 'real world' figures for you from POVray,
but for some reason it doesn't seem to like RiscBSD :-(

It compiles fine, but on running, crashes out with a data abort, at
address 0x0000000c. If anyone can help, I can provide more info.

By the way, does the RiscBSD compiler do FP in the same way as the
RISCOS one does? IE - assemble FPA instructions into the binary, then
these are trapped when excecuted by the emulator ?