Subject: Re: popclient
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alex Hayward <alex@hayward.u-net.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/27/1996 21:09:27
Adrian Bool writes:
 > On Thu, 27 Jun 1996, Olly Betts wrote:
 >
 > > Alex Hayward writes:
 > > >If all the mail in the POP box is for one user, you can just append it
 > > >to their mailbox. Mine isn't (all mail sent to
 > > ><anything>@hayward.u-net.com goes to one POP box), and I have yet to
 > > >find a satisfactory way of distributing it locally when it arrives...
 > >
 > > A good answer to most mail filtering problems is procmail.  You could (for
 > > example) set up a mail account which receives all the mail, set up its
 > > .forward to feed mail into procmail (or just pipe it into procmail from the
 > > mail alias file) and tell procmail to file the mail onto the end of the
 > > user's mail spool files.

Yes, I think I might try that.

 > I've never usedprocmail for this, hoever I did write a prgram to solve
 > thisprobalemcalled sm, for switchmail.  Itl;s rather simple, but sortof
 > works, it's avilable form u-net's ftp site (ftp.u-net.com) in /pub/unix
 > somewhere...

Yeah, I used to use that but, unfortionately, it means that all of my
mail looks as though it has come from root. If I just send a straight
reply, it doesn't get there (it goes to root instead) and it also
means I can't tell who send a messages by looking at a mail programs
listing of my mailbox. At the moment I'm not getting much mail that I
can't cope with not being separated out, so I just append it to my
mailbox, but I'd rather be able to split it up...

 > Could do with a n update possibly - I think it currently
 > uses the To: line to switch on - all u-nety mailnow hasan Apparently-To:
 > line which could bemore relaible.

All mine from this list has an XApparently-To line containing
'hayward' and an X-Apprently-To line containing
hayward%u-net.net@oveja.u-net.net. There is no Apparently-To line... I
used to get your address in the X-Apparently-To line, too...