Subject: Re: A few little problems
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@rghx50.gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/24/1996 20:23:34
On Sun, 23 Jun 1996, Reuben Thomas wrote:

> (Some dumb ones)

Not really. There are many non-trivial things in NetBSD...

> 1. How do I boot native? Ticking the "boot native" box in the config.
> window doesn't seem to make it happen.

UnixFS must be working. There's a directory inside the Boot Manager which
you should have a look at.

> 2. How do I add users so that I don't keep logging in as root and getting
> the "don't log in as root, use su" message?

There's any function for that in rcm, which is in the config set.
If you want a user that can do an su, you will also have to add him to
group 0 in /etc/group

> 3. ISTR that when I installed the original base set there was a nice
> official looking .profile in the root directory with lots of comments and
> commands in it. Now there's a really small one. I've edited the PATH

I'm not sure about this. There was some confusion about root's dotfiles
(ie those starting with a dot), once they were missing completely.

> variable, which didn't include bin directories on the usr partition, and
> have made the same changes to /root/.profile, but seemingly to no avail,

The standard shell for root is the csh, which doesn't read .profile, but
.cshrc instead. It is probably a good idea to put echos in all those
dotfiles to see which of them get read and when.

> when I boot up. Also, I'd rather use bash by default. Should I be adding
> commands to .login?

No, you change your shell with chsh. I would be careful about that,
because the bash set installs to /usr/local/bin. If your /usr partition
is absent for some obscure reason (eg because a crash has moved a lot on
it to lost+found) you have even bigger problems. I installed them to /bin
(you have to change /etc/shells to reflect that).

> 4. Where is the Configure script? I've forgotten to run it and it doesn't
> seem to be on the path at the moment, nor can I find it.

This is a part of /.instutils. I don't know how this can be executed.

Hope this helps,

Markus