Subject: Re: Which ethernet card ??
To: Aidan Corey <Aidan.Corey@St-Johns.Oxford.ac.uk>
From: Nuts <ee93mmt@BRUNEL.AC.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/23/1996 13:35:44

> Mark Brinicombe wrote:
> > Right well the only dual connector card I have tried is the i-cubed EtherH
> > card.
> > Currently RiscBSD only supports the 10-base2 though support for the 10-baseT
> > is
> > on the todo list.
>
> I use RiscBSD with an EtherH card and a 10baseT connection.  At least,
> I did until my harddisk died yesterday :-(
>
> A friend has used RiscBSD and EtherH with a 10base2 connection.  Of
> course, I don't know is what would happen if you tried to use both
> connectors simultaneously.  I expect the hardware doesn't support
> that.  Certainly the RISC OS driver doesn't allow you to make use of
> it if it does.

The hardware cannot support both at the same time.  The way it detects
which connection to use, is to enable the link test pulse for the TP
connector.  If it doesn't get a good link, it will default to BNC.
RiscBSD does not alter which connection is being used at the moment.

I believe the current code will retest the link everytime the card
gets reset, which would occur on a cable disconnect error it would
soon switch to whichever cable is connected, priority to TP.

> There seems to be some variation among EtherH cards - is it possible
> that 10baseT support only works for some of them?  I was told that
> RiscBSD would have problems with EtherH cards bought as part of Acorn
> Access+ packages, but that has never been the case for me.

There are 2 types of etherh card.  One uses the macronics chipset MX98905
and that chipset has a bug in it, in that it the MSB remote dma
register does not work.  There is a workaround for this which
should be around soon.  In fact, I think only the buffer ram test
ever transfers more than 256 bytes across the dma channel, so diabling
it will make the mx stuff work.

> Does anyone know why RiscBSD sets the card's MAC address (is that
> right?) differently to RISC OS?  I'm wondering if problems I'm having

The reason is, that I dont know where the etherh gets its mac address
from, and I havn't taken much time to look.  Also I try not to go
round disassembling other peoples code.

> with a linux box on my local ethernet are something to do with this.
> It refuses to ping or respond to pings from my computer if I've just
> switched from RiscBSD to RISC OS, until my computer expires from its
> ARP cache.  Strangely, the ARP entry is correct - when I ping the
> linux box from RISC OS, the RiscBSD entry is removed from the linux
> box's cache and replaced with the RISC OS entry.  It still doesn't
> reply.  I would investigate further, say by changing the address
> RiscBSD gives the card to match RISC OS, but I can't right now :-(
>
> --
> Aidan

Melvin Tang-Richardson: ee93mmt@brunel.ac.uk - RiscBSD UNIX for the RiscPC
           "A lot of us choose to resist temptation and suffer in silence."