Subject: Re: Qu? on /usr partition
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Voss <voss@yoda.in-berlin.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/23/1996 10:02:11
In message <31cbdda2.279208@post.demon.co.uk>,
     Richard Knight wrote:

> [...]
>
> I re booted in single user mode and issued the df -k command and got
> back the following.
>
>                                   1k blocks  used  avali  cap mount on
>
> dev/wd1a  root_dev  29199  9745  17994  35%     /
>
> There does not appear to be a /usr partition, yet using df -k after i
> first installed the sets and before i re booted there was.
>
> If I boot in multiuser mode and log in as root which it tells me not
> to(?), and then do df -k , I get back as well as the above, the
> following...
>
> dev/wd1e  648062  52794  597064  8%  /usr
>
> I can also use vi and various other things, whereas in single user
> mode  I can't, I can cd into /usr but ls -l gives me a big zero?
>
> Could some kind person explain to me what might be the problem, where
> is /usr in single user mode, why can't I use vi, or
> /usr/local/sbin/inst  even? Have I just not set up a correct path or
> something?

There's no problem here.

In most Unixes the single user mode (sometimes also called maintenance
mode) is meant to give the administrator a minimal system where only a
root file system (/) is mounted. This root file system might not even be
the regular one from the hard disk but from a maintenance diskette.

Other file systems (like /usr or /home) are not mounted at boot time in
single user mode but can be mounted manually. If you want to mount your
/usr file system do

   mount /dev/wd1e /usr

This makes the /dev/wd1e partition accessable under the /usr directory.
In Unix terms /usr is the "mount point" of /dev/wd1e. That's why /usr is
empty when you boot into single user mode. Existing but empty directories
are likely candidates for mount points.

Again: Booting into single user mode is for *maintenance* only. E.g. you
boot into single user mode if you want to check your hard disk partitions
(with fsck) after a crash. The single user mode is not meant to be your
normal working environment even if you are the only user on your machine.
If you want to work with vi or install new sets you have to boot into
multi user mode.

> Also in the above is  dev/wd1e correct ?

Yes, that's how it should be :-)

> [...]
> Richard Knight              (richard@mithras.demon.co.uk)

Regards,