Subject: Qu? on /usr partition
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Richard Knight <richard@MITHRAS.DEMON.CO.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/22/1996 12:44:56
I'm relatively new to the unix operating system so please bear with me
concerning my query, which might be long winded as i try to explain
myself. I had RiscBSD installed late last year for a few months, all
went very well, no problems at all  until I had to give back the
borrowed harddrive it was on :-(

I've just downloaded a few basic sets (Base, Etc, MIsc,Text, Local,
Man, Config) to get it up and running. All seems to have installed ok.
I installed using kernel BSD-3598, and have used this and BSD-4197
with the problem below?

I re booted in single user mode and issued the df -k command and got
back the following.

                                  1k blocks  used  avali  cap mount on

dev/wd1a  root_dev  29199  9745  17994  35%     /

There does not appear to be a /usr partition, yet using df -k after i
first installed the sets and before i re booted there was.

If I boot in multiuser mode and log in as root which it tells me not
to(?), and then do df -k , I get back as well as the above, the
following...

dev/wd1e  648062  52794  597064  8%  /usr

I can also use vi and various other things, whereas in single user
mode  I can't, I can cd into /usr but ls -l gives me a big zero?

Could some kind person explain to me what might be the problem, where
is /usr in single user mode, why can't I use vi, or
/usr/local/sbin/inst  even? Have I just not set up a correct path or
something?

Also in the above is  dev/wd1e correct ?

My configuration, if of any use is:

RiscPC 600, 1x500MB Conner, 1x1gig Quantum, 12MB Dram,2MB Vram
The quantum is partitioned for about 670MB or so to RiscBSD.

Any help with this 'problem' would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance.

Richard Knight              (richard@mithras.demon.co.uk)
Dagenham,Essex,UK

"Bother", said Pooh, as he saw the mushroom cloud.