Subject: Re: Which ethernet card ??
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/22/1996 23:07:22
>I use RiscBSD with an EtherH card and a 10baseT connection.  At least,
>I did until my harddisk died yesterday :-(
>
>A friend has used RiscBSD and EtherH with a 10base2 connection.  Of
>course, I don't know is what would happen if you tried to use both
>connectors simultaneously.  I expect the hardware doesn't support
>that.  Certainly the RISC OS driver doesn't allow you to make use of
>it if it does.

hmm I'll have to check this. I was under the impression (but never tried it
personally that the 10base-T connection was never enabled from RiscBSD and thus
did not work. It may be that RiscBSD does not explicitly set thus up but does
not reset the appropriate register thus it will use the state RiscOS left it
in.
[Nut: Can you clarify as you have the i-cubed info]

>There seems to be some variation among EtherH cards - is it possible
>that 10baseT support only works for some of them?  I was told that
>RiscBSD would have problems with EtherH cards bought as part of Acorn
>Access+ packages, but that has never been the case for me.
I have never had a problem with an Acorn EtherH card (I have one myself)
There have been reports of problems with certain cards but the source of the
cards was not a common factor. Nut posted a few weeks ago that he believed the
problem was to do with xfers > 128 bytes to the card with a certain version of
the chip set.

>Does anyone know why RiscBSD sets the card's MAC address (is that
>right?) differently to RISC OS?  I'm wondering if problems I'm having
>with a linux box on my local ethernet are something to do with this.
>It refuses to ping or respond to pings from my computer if I've just
>switched from RiscBSD to RISC OS, until my computer expires from its
>ARP cache.  Strangely, the ARP entry is correct - when I ping the
>linux box from RISC OS, the RiscBSD entry is removed from the linux
>box's cache and replaced with the RISC OS entry.  It still doesn't
>reply.  I would investigate further, say by changing the address
>RiscBSD gives the card to match RISC OS, but I can't right now :-(

Right that was me ... The driver I got from Nut did not fully setup the MAC
address. I patched it to use the standard MAC address for the network slot.
This is different to what the i-cubed card under RiscOS uses.
Some cards e.g. EtherB will use the network slot MAC address but others such as
the i-cubed card have their address stored else where. I don't know how I go
about extracting this. I have not checked (I assume the I-cubed info Nut has
may explain). It may be that the controller chip has a built in default MAC
address
or it may be stored in the flash ROM.

When I have a moment I will give I-cubed a ring to see if I can fix this.

Cheers,
				Mark

--
Mark Brinicombe				amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk