Subject: Re: Misc Questions
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/22/1996 17:19:35
>- did anyone manage to compile gnuchess 4.0?
>  I tried it with cc263 and cc272. I got a very confusing
>  error message: "out of virtual memory"
>  Maybe there is some kind of endless loop?
>  I have 26 Meg and 25 Meg swap space.
>  xboard compiled successfully.

Ok the out of virtual memory means the process has hit its virtual memory
limit.
The shell command 'limit' will show you the current limits.
The command unlimit should solve the problem.
By default the process has a limit of 16MB of data space so large compiles can
hit this ceiling. A process could use over 3GB of virtual memory if it wanted
and was allowed to ;-)

>- Is there a simple command, which lets me see, if
>  the swap is working properly? The 24 Meg are reported
>  during the boot phase. I tried to add a second swap
>  slice on a additional drive, but it seems that it is
>  not working (adding a line in /etc/fstab).

pstat -s
 This will show the amount in use and the amount available

>- I am loosing my disklabels very often (power-tec scsi)
>  Any suggestions?

Talk to scott about this one.

Cheers,
				Mark