Subject: Re: First-time boot problem...
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Graham Allan <gta@MNHEP1.HEP.UMN.EDU>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/18/1996 22:21:33
In message <9606181023.ZM18423@warhol.me>
          Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk> wrote:

> Okay, two things to make sure of. One is that there is at least one thing
> connected to the bus. It hangs if there isn't. The other thing to check is
> whether you've changed any of the CMOS settings under RiscOS. RiscBSD doesn't
> pick up configuration changes and uses the default configuration (SCSI id 7,
> default termination settings). This is currently hard coded so your SCSI bus
> needs to be set up so that it can work in this arrangement. If the problem
> persists I will compile you up a kernel with no SCSI devices configured.

Scott Stevens emailed me with the answer. Apparently, the ptsc driver
disables the onboard termination of the Powertec card, so if you were
relying on that for the termination at one end of the bus, as I was, it
hangs. I connected an separate external terminator to the card, and it
booted right up.

Now to fetch the rest of the sets... thanks for all the help!

Graham