Subject: Re: First-time boot problem...
To: None <allan@MNHEP1.HEP.UMN.EDU>
From: Scott Stevens <s.k.stevens@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/18/1996 09:54:07
Graham Allan writes:
 > I'm sure I must be doing something really obvious wrong here!
 >
 > I've started a RiscBSD installation, following the recipe given on the web/ftp
 > site. I've partitioned and initialised (using bb_riscbsd) the IDE disk
 > (standard 850Mbyte Connor) in my RPC700 for use with RiscBSD, made a boot
 > floppy, and tried to boot using various kernels. All of them give the same
 > problem; they hang after detecting *something* to do with the PowerTec SCSI
 > card. The sequence goes something like this:
 >
 > .. (skipping detection of CPU, floppy, IDE disk - hope I'm not missing out
 > crucial information...)
 >
 > podulebus0 (root)
 > podule0 at podulebus0: Powertec : SCSI 1 / SCSI 2 host adaptor
 > podule1 at podulebus0: ANT : ether3 interface
 > ptsc0 at podulebus0 [podule 0]: dmabuf V0xf279e000 P0x103c1000
 > scsibus0 at ptsc0
 >

 > .. and then nothing, just a wait for eternity. Not sure what it's trying to
 > do, if anything (detect devices on the scsi bus, perhaps?).

Yep, that's exactly what it's doing (but you don't have any ?). This
problem occurs on both the Cumana and Powertec drivers when no devices
are on the bus, with slight differing symptoms.

 > Could it be
 > because this is a version 2 PowerTec card, and the kernel doesn't know how
 > to drive it?

Well since the product id hasn't changed the kernel still attaches it
using the ptsc driver. I'd be surprised if the card has changed
radically, But since I don't have a version 2 card I can't test
it. Anyone else got it to work ?

 > Any help would be much appreciated! Nothing on the SCSI bus is (going to be)
 > used by RiscBSD, except possibly the CD-ROM drive (Sony CDU8003A, aka
 > Apple CD300). The machine has 32M memory, though I doubt it's relevant.

Is everything on the bus turned off then ? Try turning on the CDROM
and rebooting.

 > Thanks,
 >
 > Graham

Cheers Scott

Scott Stevens, Network Services Group, Computer Centre, Imperial College
"Well, I'm truly grateful, sir. Don't you think I'd love to be deceitful,
unpleasant, and offensive? Those are the human qualities I admire the
most! But I just can't do it."                        - Kryten, Red Dwarf