Subject: Re: Network thingies not working
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@IC.AC.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/18/1996 10:07:29
On Jun 17, 10:44am, Rik Griffin wrote:
> Subject: Re: Network thingies not working

> > You could try
> >
> >    xterm -display cheesey.demon.co.uk:0
> >
> > Please note the ":0" at the end. And make sure that cheesey.demon.co.uk
> > can be resolved correctly into an IP address.
>
> It can, and I have tried -display 158.152.37.242:0.0 as well. Netstat
> indicates that a connection is being made, but nothing happens from
> there onward. Just like the telnet problem really, it's really odd.

Well, I can think of one thing which upsets X and has caused me no end of
headaches. It gets upset and hangs indefinitely if it can't do an in-addr.arpa
lookup on connections and a forwards lookup on any authentication. This is a
particular pain if you are using host based authentication (the default).
Whilst this may not be your problem it can certainly produce the effects you
describe. These problems would be at the server (display) end of the
connection, not the place you are trying to launch things from.

Cheers

Rob