Subject: Re: mtools
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG, bevis@APG.PH.UCL.AC.UK>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@kurt.tools.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/17/1996 17:46:35
> Although I guess that mtools itself won't work on the RPC, is there any
> chance of getting a similar thing to work? In fact, just the mcopy and
> mdir commands would be very handy. I don't want to have to su every time
> I need to get at the floppy, (mount seems to need su privilages).

While getting mtools to work with RiscBSD shouldn't be too hard (it might
have been ported already?), there is no need for root priviledges to do a mount.
All you need is:

	1. access to the medium to be mounted with the appropriate
	priviledge, i.e. read access if you want to mount read-only,
	read and write access if you want a normal mount.

	2. ownership of the directory you want to mount on.

Some filesystems may further restrict the ability to mount, like e.g. ffs
in case you want the kernel to honour setuid bits or devices. But for
mounting a msdosfs filesystem, you don't need any further priviledges.

Hope it helps,
Wolfgang
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) 	+49-228-985800