Subject: Re: Install Headache
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Murphy <andrewm@ZENER.DEMON.CO.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/16/1996 21:04:32
In message <2808945.ensmtp@first-class.open.ac.uk> you wrote:

> I am unsure of how to proceed with the installation. I would appreciate some
> advice.
> I have installed to the point when I should install the sets. I have a CD
> Cumana IDE and have noticed that new ATAPI kernals and other patches are
> available. Will these allow me to use the installation procedure with this CD,
> alternatively I have a SCSI Drive with a Cumana 1 with an EESOX driver  which
> i could use.

I must admit, I was a bit confused by all this at first, until I realised that
I had to make a bootdisc rather than mouting off my Cumana IDE CD-ROM and
booting off that.

If you've got to the point of installing sets then you're almost there...

> I have used unixfsdemo transfered files to the /usr partition after chmod o+w
> the partition. Just how much of the CD must i transfer this way and what would
> be the way forward from here. I tried copying the contents of the CD excluding
> RISCOS parts to a usr/distrib partition and tried to run install without
> success

What you need to transfer to the /usr/disrtib directory are sets. If you're
installing the beta release and using the CD, the files required are in..
/usr/local/ftp/beta/sets

You don't need to install all of these. The install guide (/riscos/beta_txt on
the CD) tells you which sets you need. To transfer a complete set you need each
file with the same root name (ie foo/00 foo/01 etc. as well as foo/set). You
can then run /usr/local/sbin/inst to install all the various bits and bobs.

Presumably if you've got enough HD space, you could copy the entire CD to the
root of the unix partition but as it is all I did was set up a boot disk, boot
off that and then copy all the required sets across using unixfs.

Hope this helps.

--
Andrew Murphy
andrewm@zener.demon.co.uk