Subject: Re: Limited success booting an A3020
To: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm26
Date: 12/03/2001 10:25:19
On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Gavan Fantom wrote:

> * The EtherH driver chokes on startup thanks to a bug in the podloader
> stuff (see PR#14811)

Thanks.  I've got a proper fix in my tree which I'll check in once it's
tested.

> * NFS mounting anything complains with "Program version wrong" (ie a
> mismatch in the version of the NFS protocol between client and server),
> which seems odd given that the root filesystem is already nfs mounted, and
> I can do an nfs v2 loopback mount on the nfs server.

This can also mean a mismatch between mount_nfs and the kernel -- i.e.
mount_nfs has asked for an NFSv3 mount, and the kernel doesn't support
that.  Try specifying -o -2.

> * Once at the login prompt, typing in a username causes a fair bit of
> network traffic (as expected), followed by a hang. Logging in as root with
> no password, so I don't know exactly where in the login procedure it's
> hanging. The last network activity is again a readdir call.

Hmm.  Does readdir work in general?  Have you got some swap by this point?
Can you try booting single-user instead?

> * There does not appear to be any serial console code. A serial console
> would complete my remote development environment (I already have
> netbooting, and a remote power switch, serial console is the only bit
> missing now), so would be very useful. There is already a serial driver,
> so to allow the console to use it, where do I start?

Not sure.  I've never even tested the serial driver code.  I know Reinoud
added serial console support to acorn32 recently, so looking at his
changes might be helpful.

> * The keyboard and mouse drivers are not sufficiently separable. Config
> allows you to take out, for example, the mouse driver, but the compiler
> throws up some errors. Is this a case of missing ifdefs, or should config
> be disallowing the separation of these drivers?

Almost all the code is shared between the keyboard and mouse drivers, so
I'm not sure you'd save an awful lot by losing the mouse portion.  Still,
I'll look into it.