Subject: Limited success booting an A3020
To: None <port-arm26@netbsd.org>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: port-arm26
Date: 12/03/2001 02:40:03
I have now got my A3020 booting (just about) multi-user. There are a few
issues though:

* The EtherH driver chokes on startup thanks to a bug in the podloader
stuff (see PR#14811)

* I have had to comment out certain things for files in /etc/rc.d:

From ttys:

       chmod 666 /dev/tty[p-uw-zP-T][0-9a-f]

This chokes on the globbing, verified by trying echo instead of chmod 666.
A tcpdump shows that the last network traffic before it hangs is a readdir
in /dev.

From sysdb:

       dev_mkdb

I haven't played with this to determine exactly what causes it to choke,
but I suspect a similar cause to the previous hang.

* NFS mounting anything complains with "Program version wrong" (ie a
mismatch in the version of the NFS protocol between client and server),
which seems odd given that the root filesystem is already nfs mounted, and
I can do an nfs v2 loopback mount on the nfs server.

* Once at the login prompt, typing in a username causes a fair bit of
network traffic (as expected), followed by a hang. Logging in as root with
no password, so I don't know exactly where in the login procedure it's
hanging. The last network activity is again a readdir call.

* There does not appear to be any serial console code. A serial console
would complete my remote development environment (I already have
netbooting, and a remote power switch, serial console is the only bit
missing now), so would be very useful. There is already a serial driver,
so to allow the console to use it, where do I start?

* The keyboard and mouse drivers are not sufficiently separable. Config
allows you to take out, for example, the mouse driver, but the compiler
throws up some errors. Is this a case of missing ifdefs, or should config
be disallowing the separation of these drivers?

I'm going to try this all on an A3010 at some point, but I have issues
with RISC OS failing to load the EtherH driver from the podule on that
machine atm.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget