Subject: Re: NFS root problems [Was: Re: Kernel cross build problems]
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Fry <Ian.Fry@sophos.com>
List: port-arm26
Date: 11/28/2001 10:51:16
On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 07:13:13PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Ian Fry wrote:
> > Is there any way to get swap enabled earlier for netbooting? I looked at
> > the rc.d scripts, and swap2 enables swap on network devices, but it gets
> > run far too late to be useful.
> 	A quick kludge would be to change swap2's PROVIDE/REQUIRE lines
> 	to:
>
> # PROVIDE: nonlocalswap localswap
> # REQUIRE: disks

Hmmm. Haven't tried that, but I might do tonight.

> 	What might make more sense would be to adjust swap1 to determine
> 	if the root filesystem was nfs mounted, and swap on everything
> 	if so...

How about swap1 enabling swap to files that are accessible? If you're booting
diskless, you'll probably be swapping to a file in the root directory (this
is what I've been doing, and what the diskless HOWTO on the website tells
people to do), so swap1 could enable swapping to that.

Ian.