Subject: Re: Cross-compiling for arm26 - what do I need?
To: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
From: Ian Fry <Ian.Fry@sophos.com>
List: port-arm26
Date: 11/26/2001 12:18:11
On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 07:20:56PM +0000, Gavan Fantom wrote:
> What do I need to cross-compile to and act as a boot server for arm26?
> Obviously the armv2 cross compiler package and the -current source, but do
> I need to be running -current on the machine doing the cross-compiling?

No, you don't need the cross compiler package, just the -current source and a
1.5.x NetBSD host (you may also be able to cross compile from
Linux/FreeBSD/other Unix). In fact, the cross compiler package no longer
works due to some changes in headers on arm26 vs other ports. Once you have
this, read BUILDING in the top level -current source directory, and you can
use build.sh to do the actual compile (if you know what you're doing, you can
do everything by hand, but using build.sh simplifies things a lot).

> Also, what do I need once everything is compiled, in order to boot?
> Obviously, NFS-exporting filesystems, presumably aund to boot the
> bootloader/kernel from. Is there anything else? The network already has
> DNS and DHCP working.

Take a look at http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/ and
diskless(8) (you can get at the man pages from the web if you don't have a
NetBSD machine)

Ian.