Subject: Re: Kernel cross build problems
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Fry <Ian.Fry@sophos.com>
List: port-arm26
Date: 11/07/2001 14:22:29
On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 02:18:22PM +0000, Ben Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Ian Fry wrote:
> > > Have you got root on NFS?  For some reason, writing over NFS seems to
> > > be flakey at the moment, which makes getting valid coredumps to debug
> > > difficult.
> > Yes, currently, I have root on NFS. Is it just root on NFS, or swapping
> > over NFS? If the latter, I might try to get local swap setup.
> I'm not sure if swapping over NFS is reliable or not.  I haven't tested it
> lately.

Well, I didn't stress things too much last night when I was playing with
this, but I ran a few commands without problems (sysctl, ifconfig, a couple
of others) until I tried getting the machine to boot multiuser.

> > One thing I forgot to mention is that taking out the 'ea' bug workaround
> > improves things *enormously*.
> Is that the one reducing the NFS read/write sizes?

Yup, that's the one.

> I think that's unnecessary anyway (and the bug was a poor interaction
> between my Ether3 and my EtherExpress PRO/10+).

Well, it's still enabled in both the GENERIC and FOURMEG config files.
Perhaps it should be commented out, with a note explaining that it might be
necessary?

Ian.