Subject: Re: Kernel cross build problems
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Fry <Ian.Fry@sophos.com>
List: port-arm26
Date: 11/07/2001 12:14:45
On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 11:51:15AM +0000, Ben Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Ian Fry wrote:
> > I can now boot my A4000 to single user mode and enable swapping, which
> > I've never been able to do before. This stops all the 'VM shortage,
> > sleeping' messages :-) I still had to use a 'tuned' kernel config, though
> > - the FOURMEG config still doesn't quite work.
> Wow!  I'd almost got my A3020 to work this well, but not quite.

Well, I tried going to multi-user after I'd enabled swap, but sh dumped core
processing the rc scripts (this was using a userland from the latest snapshot
- I still want to try a more recent cross-built userland before I start
panicing about this).

> > Running 'nm --sort-size' on my kernel, there are still some quite large
> > variables (here are all the ones over 0x200 bytes):
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Of these, I think that 'kmemstats' isn't needed (as my kernel doesn't
> > have 'options KMEMSTATS'),
> Also mbstat and tcpstat, I suspect.

I didn't look at those, but you're probably right.

> > and vt220l8x8 could probably be made const (presumably, all the other
> > wsfonts will need similar fixes)
> No, it can't.  The wsfont machinery byte- and bit-swaps fonts in place if
> they turn out to be the wrong endianness for the framebuffer.

Ah, okay. Presumably it only does the byte/bit swapping once, when the wsfont
stuff is initialised?

Ian.