Subject: Re: Kernel cross build problems
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Fry <Ian.Fry@sophos.com>
List: port-arm26
Date: 11/07/2001 10:06:04
On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 12:06:06PM +0000, Ian Fry wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 10:47:50AM +0000, Ben Harris wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Ian Fry wrote:
> > > [Machine resets with cross built -current kernel]
> > Arse.  Yes, there's a bug in the podule loader support, which bites if
> > you've got an EtherH.
>
> :-(
>
> > For now, backing off podloader_asm.S to rev 1.1 seems to work most of the
> > time.  I'd forgotten about this.
> Right, I'll try that tonight.

I've tried that, and indeed that does fix the problem.

I can now boot my A4000 to single user mode and enable swapping, which I've
never been able to do before. This stops all the 'VM shortage, sleeping'
messages :-) I still had to use a 'tuned' kernel config, though - the FOURMEG
config still doesn't quite work.

Running 'nm --sort-size' on my kernel, there are still some quite large
variables (here are all the ones over 0x200 bytes):

00000220 B mbstat
00000220 B tcpstat
00000230 D cfdata
00000280 B bucket
0000031c B sigacts0
0000031c D wskbd_srcops
00000400 D defcorename
00000400 B sched_slpque
00000438 D cdevsw
00000dbc B tcp_syn_cache
00000de8 D vt220l8x8
00000f20 B kmemstats
00001000 B kernel_pmap_entries
00001610 B nfsrtt
00001800 D sysent

Of these, I think that 'kmemstats' isn't needed (as my kernel doesn't have
'options KMEMSTATS'), and vt220l8x8 could probably be made const (presumably,
all the other wsfonts will need similar fixes) - I haven't had a chance to
try fixing this myself yet.

Now I need to do a cross 'make build' and update the netboot environment for
this machine to see if I can get it to boot multi-user. Currently, my
userland is still from the latest snapshot on the ftp server.

This seems (to me) to be a bit step forward to getting 4M machines running.
Keep up the good work!

Ian.