Subject: Re: R140 w/8MB and HCCS IDE, drive failure
To: None <port-arm26@netbsd.org>
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-arm26
Date: 09/02/2001 16:16:56
In message <Pine.SOL.4.33.0107091033590.12373-100000@libra.cus.cam.ac.uk> you wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Ben Harris wrote:
>
> > [ Forwarded to the list with permission ]
> >
> > On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Kjetil B. Thomassen wrote:
> >
> > > - The HCCS IDE card probes correctly, but does not find the onboard 210
> > >   MB IDE drive. Have I connected it incorrectly?
> > >   hcide0 at podulebus0 slot 2
> >
> > Hmm.  I haven't yet tested the connector for an on-board drive on mine
> > (the only 2.5" drive I've got is firmly screwed into my A3020, and a pain
> > to get out).  I'll try it and see if I have the same problem.
>
> Having tested the drive you sent me, I get:
>
> hcide0 at podulebus0 slot 0
> wd0 at hcide0 channel 0 drive 0: <FUJITSU M2714T>
> wd0: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA addressing
> wd0: 1037 MB, 2108 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 2125220 sectors
> wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
>
> It also probes correctly in slot 2.  A few questions:
> * Does the drive work under RISC OS?
> * Are you using the drive under RISC OS?
> * What version of the card have you got (mine says "IDE/A400 V2.00" on
>   the underside)?
> * How long does it take the probe for drives to fail?
>
> I'll try to build you a kernel with extra debugging for the probe routines
> turned on so we can work out what's happening.

No need to do that. I have figured out that the 2.5" drive I had is
DOA (dead on arrival), and have replaced it with an 850 MB Toshiba
drive, and that probes perfectly well.

I still have a Quamtum® Daytona¨ Go-Drive® DAY514AT 2.5" drive if there
is anyone else working on the arm26 port with a need for it. Send me
your snail mail address by private email and I will send it to you.

NOTE! This drive must then be used for arm26 development or testing.

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no
http://www.thomassen.priv.no/