Subject: Re: Unable to cross-compile kernels
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Fry <Ian.Fry@sophos.com>
List: port-arm26
Date: 08/06/2001 09:41:11
On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 12:51:19PM +0100, Ben Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Ian Fry wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 11:54:57AM +0100, Ben Harris wrote:
> > > You need to update and recompile GCC.  Matt Thomas changed the
> > > definitions of various types (size_t and ptrdiff_t went from int to
> > > long, ISTR), and GCC cares about this.
> > Ah, right. So I just need to re-install the cross compiler package?
> > Great.
> Well, if you're using the package in pkgsrc, you're well out of data
> anyway.  Use gnu/dist/toolchain instead.

Right, I've got the latest gnusrc now, but...

> See <URL:http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-arm/2001/04/24/0003.html>, but
> ignore step 1 (the patch is in the tree now).  You may also need to prevent
> GCC trying to test libgcc1 (I think you do this by passing "LIBGCC1_TEST="
> to make).

It doesn't even get that far. The 'make' fails in sim/arm when trying to
build 'armemu26.o' - gcc bails with 'no input files'. I think this is because
armemu26.o (and armemu32.o) is built from armemu.c, but '$<' in this case
seems to expand to nothing (with NetBSD's make). I tried using gmake instead,
and that got further, but it failed somewhere in gdb IIRC.

Ideas? I'm trying to cross-build on a 1.5.1 NetBSD/i386 machine, if that's
important.

Ian.